Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

How to Get Listed in DMOZ

Google are all about trust, by this I mean how much trust they have for your sites.

It’s a good idea to show Google you’re sites are trust worthy. This can be done is a number of different ways. In this post I’m going to look at one way, and therefore be discussing .

DMOZ in my experience is hard to get into, and in fact I have tried before with this blog and not had any luck. Other sites I have, so it makes little sense to me. Before I discuss some of the things I’ll be doing to help make sure I get in, I want to discuss why getting into DMOZ would be a good thing in the first place.

Google knows that DMOZ is hard to get into, because every single site that is submitted is reviewed by a human reviewer. It’s all done by volunteeers also, as far as I’m aware. When there’s human review involved and no money spent to guarantee acceptance, then this is the best filter process for a decent site.

So Google ride on the back of DMOZ’s scrutiny and reward sites with better rankings that have been accepted into DMOZ. This is the same for all directories that have human reviewers and payment doesn’t assure acceptance, such as the Yahoo directory.

With that said, the more trust you have with Google the better, so it’s not a bad idea to try your best to get into DMOZ.

The first thing I do, is go to DMOZ and look for other sites that have been accepted already that are very close to what my site is about. Let’s say for example that you had an acne site, what I would do is type into DMOZ “acne” and see what sites they show.

In the image below, you’ll see a category for acne that one of the sites I found was in.



View the Original article

0 comments:

Post a Comment