Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Is Your Affiliate Sign-Up Page Insecure?


Photo by DeclanTM

Have you ever found a great affiliate program that you really wanted to start promoting right away? Have you started filling out their signup form and realized they were asking for your social security number and that the form was not secure?

Recently I found the affiliate page of a famous and successful business development and marketing guru and was in the process of signing up with his affiliate program. But when I realized I would be submitting my social security number in the clear, over an insecure connection, I decided to forget it, at least until I could make the time to use an alternate and secure signup method.

But since I didn’t want to waste time faxing, or using some other more secure means, I put it off. And after I had gotten absorbed in a number of other things, I forgot about it completely as there were lots of other programs equally as good vying for my attention.

Why does this matter? Simply put, your social security number should be treated just like your credit card number, or any other sensitive information you don’t want out on the internet for anybody to casually grab and start abusing.

If I might borrow a phrase from Mad Eye Moody, one must exercise “constant vigilance”. I’m fairly shocked that this still even happens these days.

So what do you think? Do you care if a sign-up form is insecure, especially when the form asks for a social security number or a password?

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed! Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Mail (will not be published) (required)

Website



View the Original article

0 comments:

Post a Comment