Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Understanding SEO

There are a lot of things to know when if comes to , and I can’t go over everything in a single post.

However what I will be discussing in this post, are the reasons why you might experience a drop in rankings in Google and what you can do about it. If you want some more detailed instructions on SEO, I recently did a post on this here: Increase Google Rankings.

I receive a substantial amount of email from my subscribers, and unfortunately I can’t reply to all of them, apologies if you fall into that category, however one question I get asked a lot is, why sometimes Google rankings drop suddenly?

People email me extremely worried that they have done something wrong and that the big scary Google monster has caught them and is now penalizing them with a drop in rankings.

Of course Google can and do penalize sites all the time, but from my experience it’s not for common things that marketers like you and I would be doing.

The email questions I get go something like this: “Matt I have just built some links yesterday doing XYZ and now today my site is nowhere in Google, help!!! What have I done…please help me!!”

You might think I’m exagerating with that example, but believe me I’m not.

Anyway it’s never a nice feeling when you check your Google rankings, only to see your site has experienced some form of a drop. So now let me explain to you what I have come to realize about drops in Google rankings and the reasons for them.

If you have a new site, with no trust with Google yet, then not only can it take some time to show up in the first 10 pages of Google, but it can also go through what’s known as a “Google Dance”

A Google Dance, is simply where your site can bounce around in Google. I’ve had sites go from page 1 to nowhere and back again in the space of a few days. When I first experienced this, many years ago now, I was amazed, it felt like an emotional roler coaster ride!

View the Original article

0 comments:

Post a Comment